sábado, 29 de diciembre de 2018

Do you like taking MOOC courses?

I'm a geeky bookworm. There you go, simple as that.

I enjoy learning and reading new things for fun. Reading books is just a huge source of fun for me, and I feel sad that I spent so much of my life devoid of the joy of ebooks because the technology didn't properly exist yet.

Now, I have a college degree, and in 14 months, I will graduate from my Masters degree as well. Again, that is really cool.

But for all of the cool stuff I learn that is fully applicable to my degree, I never get to have any fun. My degree was different from the average undergrad where you could take a dozen intro 101 courses and learn a little of what you want. Had I had this option, due to the nauseating amount of college credits needed to graduate (almost 500!), I would have never finished undergrad ever.

So, I got the degree, but didn't really get to enjoy "the college experience". My Master degree is another fluke. To this day, I have only set foot into the university that will recognize my degree a whopping total of 10 times, half of which were quick 10 minute visits to pay the reinscription fee. I have never seen the massive library that the school boasts. Heck, I don't even have an ID card as such. It's been 2 years, and they still haven't sent us one in the mail and I was too lazy to get one myself when I had the chance. Bummer.

Therefore, while I don't have a lot of free time, I do enjoy taking a MOOCs course here and there. Most of the courses are not directly related to my degree, but given my degree involves a lot of Chemistry and Physics, I have found relatable knowledge from MOOCs I have taken as seemingly unrelated such as the CSI esque Real Life Criminal Investigation MOOC I once took (spectrometers used in crime labs to identify chemicals follow the same physics as some of the medical equipment I use on a daily basis).

I took a Harvardx course on Public Health a few years ago for fun, and while there were things about the course I feel like I had to disagree with, the website sometimes sends me brochures when new courses pop up.

Today they just sent me one about the Cairo pyramids in Egypt. It seems like a fun course, it's free and it's a set-your-own-pace sort of deal. I really can't enjoy it right now because of time constraints, but in case you want to learn more about the ancient pyramids, you can click on the image below.

Enjoy!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario